Valtenbergu manor-house, which was situated in the place of the present day Mazsalaca Secondary school, can be found in writing in 1528. The creation of Skaņaiskalns Nature park is connected to the manor-house. Mazsalaca (Salisburg- Germ.) grew into a tightly inhabited place after 1864. The owner of the manor house Arnolds Fitinghofs rented out the first 42 plots of land as building ground for houses in exchange for manual labor. The first bridge over Salaca river was built and handcrafts and trade developed in the town.